Election of 10 Directors
- The Board recommends a vote FOR each nominee.
- Diverse slate of directors with broad leadership experience; four leadership roles bring gender or ethnic diversity.
- All candidates are highly successful executives with relevant skills and expertise.
- Average director tenure of 5.5 years with 9 of 10 independent of management.
- Strong corporate governance practices and stockholder engagement program that receive exceptional corporate governance ratings.
The Board recommends 10 nominees for election to the Allstate Board for one-year terms beginning in May 2018 and until a successor is duly elected and qualified or his or her earlier resignation or removal. These nominees are talented, both as individuals and as a team. They bring a full array of business and leadership skills to their oversight responsibilities. Most nominees serve on other public company boards, enabling our Board to more quickly adopt best practices from other companies. Their diversity of experience and expertise facilitates robust and thoughtful decision-making on Allstate’s Board.
Each nominee, other than Mr. Sherrill and Ms. Keane, was previously elected at Allstate’s annual meeting of stockholders on May 25, 2017, for one-year terms. Mr. Sherrill and Ms. Keane were elected by the Board effective October 1, 2017, and January 1, 2018, respectively. The Board expects all nominees named in this proxy statement to be available for election. If any nominee is not available, then the proxies may vote for a substitute. On the following pages, we list the reasons for nominating each individual. Mrs. Taylor is not standing for re-election at the annual meeting. Mr. Rowe is retiring at the annual meeting in accordance with Allstate’s retirement policy and is not standing for re-election.
Director Nominees’ Skills and Experience
Our Board selected the nominees based on their diverse set of skills and experiences, which align with our business strategy and contribute to the effective oversight of Allstate.